Designer / Developer.
Permanent, full-time position.
4 days a week, 32 hours.
Hello, we are Normally - a highly experimental digital design, research and technology studio based in London.
We are a team of 13 who don’t subscribe to any one ‘discipline’. We are fascinated by data, collaborative thinking and making things normally.
We are currently looking for a Designer / Developer or Creative Developer to help us design and build prototypes – from little experiments to proofs of concept, all the way to delivering end-to-end prototypes for our clients. We build with real data, on real infrastructure and create high-fidelity interfaces. We build at speed using our knowledge and experience of previous work and exploring new ideas.
As a Normally Designer / Developer, you will work with engineers, designers and researchers to explore design problems. You will be able to confidently use code to bring ideas to life and iterate on design solutions with a high level of interaction polish.
You will work with our team of designers to set new design standards for our clients and their services, working across a broad range of industries such as healthcare, transportation, media, circular economy and sustainability. Our approach often leads to the discovery of new products and services, and opportunities to improve existing ones.
This is a unique opportunity to become a part of an innovative and thoughtful design studio with a considered, honest and dedicated approach to design. We believe that this role will offer you the chance to expand your understanding and to explore and refine your skills.
We would like you to have working knowledge of;
- Translate broad and conceptual ideas into valuable and useful solutions for us and our clients.
- Engaging and collaborative working that encourages and solicits feedback from the design team to best explore and solve design problems.
- Rapidly iterate design solutions to bring ideas to life.
- Confidently communicate thinking: explain and evidence your decisions and practice simplifying complex concepts, using simple, non-technical and jargon-free language.
- Contribute to high-level strategic decisions that help define key data models and break down problems into smaller solvable solutions.
- Keen interest in emerging technology: be curious around products and services built with data,, broader data policy, and inquisitive about their potential and impact.
- Best practices: awareness of design best practices around interface design, usability, accessibility and ethics.
You should have experience using some (doesn’t have to be all!) of the following tech:
- Front-end tech e.g. Vue/Nuxt, React/Next, Svelte
- Tailwind CSS
- Serverless functions e.g. Lambda, GCP Functions, Cloudflare Workers
- Databases e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Firebase
- Salary: £36,000 – £65,000, depending on experience.
- Reporting to our Design Directors.
- Permanent full-time position - 4 days a week, 32 hours.
- It is important you can work from the studio in London as often as possible, although we are currently hybrid working between our homes and our Shoreditch studio.
- Comprehensive private health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Company pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Mental-wellbeing service
- Competitive parental leave
- Flexible working
- 25 days annual leave on top of working 4 days a week
This position is open to designer / developers or creative developers with relevant experience and those who may also feel they do not necessarily “fit” the criteria perfectly. We’d still like to hear from you.
To apply for this role, please send your portfolio and CV to email@example.com, we look forward to receiving your application.